with Mizuyo was awesome! :) We made Mochi Ice Cream, Vegetable Tempura and Sushi.
Yield: 2 cups of flour makes 27 pieces
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup mochiko flour ( or sweet rice flour)
1 cup sugar
1. Put baking sheet in freezer
2. In a microwavable bowl, add flour, sugar and yogurt into a bowl.
3. Mix well ( until no lumps are seen)
4. Microwave the mixture for 4 minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
5. Remove the bowl after 4 minutes and stir the mixture with a spoon until thoroughly mixed.
6. Place in microwave again for another 4-5 minutes.
7. In the meantime, place cornstarch ( about half cup) on a pan.
8. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the mixture immediately until it is cooler.
9. When the mocha mixture is ready, place it on the pan with cornstarch and let it cool for several minutes until it is ready to be handled with hands.
10. Pull out enough mochi and flatten it into a pancake ( 3 inches diameter).
11. Let it cool further at room temperature ( do not be tempted to place it in refrigerator for expedited cooling)
12. Remove ice cream from freezer and using a spoon, scoop it into balls. Place into mochi and roll up. Place on cold tray and freeze the mochi again, until firm.
Ingredients: Avocado, Shitake Mushrooms, Carrots, Pickled Radish ( Daikon), Cucumber, Sushi Rice, Sushi Vinegar, Seaweed, Sesame Seeds, Horse radish
To make Sushi rice, Cook the rice according to regular directions. Place in a large bowl. Cutting in the rice, add the sushi rice vinegar. Add the vinegar until desired taste).
To Cook Shitake Mushrooms: Add water onto pan, followed by the mushrooms. Add 1 T sugar, 2 t soy sauce, 1 T mirin, 1 teaspoon salt. Fry until cooked.
Vegetables: Asparagaus, Onions ( cut into wedges), Green pepper, Shitake Mushrooms ( slice quatered), Seaweed
Place ice in bowl ( about 14 pieces).
Add ¾ Cup flour and ½ cup corn starch
Use thicker chopsticks ( I.e. back of wooden spatula). Add 1/3 teaspoon salt.
In a separate bowl, beat 1 egg and ¼ cup water together.
Add the egg mixture into the tempura flour.
Heat up oil in pan. ( Oil is ready when bubbles appear from the chopsticks).
* Note: Do not over stir the batter. Leave it lumpy.
To Make Tempura sauce:
Use a cheese grater and shred daikon
Add tempura sauce ( Or Noodle Soup Base)
*Note: If noodle soup base is used, add water until desired taste.
What to do with left over sushi rice? Make sushi rice balls...and toss it while eating mochi! ;)
Thanks Mizuyo .....It was fun! :) *cheers*
(My own note~~ To make Mizuyo's green tea cake recipe: 1 egg + 1 Tablespoon sugar + 1 Tablespoon flour. Add desired flavor like green tea powder. Separate the egg yolk and egg white. )