3.20.2007

lemon cupcakes

lemon cupcakes
I was inspired to make lemon cupcakes because of the leftover lemon buttercream icing that i used for Kaley's cake. I thought lemon cupcake might go well with lemon buttercream. Furthermore, there were extra fondant daisies that could be used for decoration. :p It's pretty straightforward to make since I used the cake mix.

Food for thought: For singer and songwriter, Enya, inspiration is a place. "Many things inspire me when I am composing, most of which come from thoughts I have about special moments in my life- from memories, from my childhood, from my family, and from people I know from the landscapes of my native Gaothdobhair. Gaothdobhair is very beautiul; it is in the Northwest coast of Ireland, set against the Atlantic Ocean. The name translates as "Plain of the Winds, " which may give you some idea of its character."

~~::~~::~~::~~
1 package (18.25 oz) golden vanilla ( or white cake) mix (NO pudding in the mix)
1 1/4 cups unsweetened soy milk (or water)
2 Tb oil
3 egg whites
1 T Grated lemon zest
1T fresh lemon juice
1/4 t lemon extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Line standard muffin pans with baking cups. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water or soy milk, oil, and egg whites; beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes. If you do not have an electric beater, use a whip and mix well until all the lumps disappear and mixture is smooth. Add lemon zest, extract and juice and mix until well blended. Spoon into baking cups. Bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan on cooling rack for 5-8 mins. Remove cupcakes from pan,'cool completely. Makes 24 standard cupcakes
Wilton's Buttercream icing
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter, softened
1 t vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar ( approx 1 lb)
2 T milk
Directions: Cream butte, shortening with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Mix well. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed; scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Able to store refrigerated for 2 weeks. Makes 3 cups
Lemon buttercream icing: Add 2 T lemon juice, 1 T freshly grated lemon zest and lemon extract. I used butter flavored shortening to give the icing a yellow tinge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

they look pretty!

Cherry Z said...

Thanks :) I wonder who you are? ;p

Disclaimer: All the recipes posted are for my personal references and/or adapted from mentioned instructors or books. They/I reserve the rights to it. Please remember to cite your sources! Thank you.