4.06.2007

easter cheesecake

When I heard Martha Stewart described her fab easter cheesecake (on yahoo video), I was smitten by it and decided to make it. It required a lot of patience.............took 2 hours to bake in the oven, 1-2 horus of cooking time and overnight in the fridge before I could try it. Hence, I had to wait patiently for it to set...............wait.....
And the next day, YIPPEE, I get to try it!
Verdict: It is very rich and smooth and the finely ground almonds which dust the pan are a contrast to the softness of the cake. Eating a small piece is just-nice, anytime more is too much calories. *wink* The harder the cheesecake is, the better. I prefered it at it's semi-frozen state.
I decreased the amount of sugar from 1.5 cups to 1.2 cup and added fresh chopped pieces of mango to the batter. I had extra mangoes in my fridge and was inspired by a frozen mango cheesecake I saw at the store.

Food for thought::::
One of the "fruits of the spirit" in the bible is: patience. I find myself falling short of it sometimes when I do not get the things I want immediately or fail to see long-sighted vision of God's plan. However, God is teaching me that good things come to those who wait and seek according to His will. He has far better things for us than we can ever imagine! " For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." 2 corinthians 4:17

Note: This recipe is adapted from "Entertaining" by Martha Stewart.
Ingredients
Serves 10, 8in x3 round pan or 9x2 inch round pan
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1/4 Pound finely ground blanched almonds
4, 8-ounce cream cheese, room temperature ( use the 1/3 less fat)
1/2 Cup heavy cream or heavy whipped cream
1 1/2 Cups sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
Grated zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
flesh of 2 pieces of mangoes, squared
1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8-by-3-inch round cake pan and dust with ground almonds; set aside.
Beat, using an electric beater: cream cheese, cream, and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, and beat until incorporated. Beat in zests and vanilla.Gently stir in mangoes.
Pour into prepared pan, and place in a large roasting pan. Transfer to oven rack, and carefully add enough boiling water to the roasting pan to come two-thirds up the side of the cake pan.
Bake until firm, about 2 hours, adding more boiling water if necessary. Turn off the oven; keep the oven door ajar using a wooden spoon. Let cake cool completely in the oven.
Transfer to refrigerator and chill overnight. Invert onto a plate; serve. Decorate as desired. I used some yellow ducks as decoration. *aren't they cute...hehe*

No comments:

Disclaimer: All the recipes posted are for my personal references and/or adapted from mentioned instructors or books. They/I reserve the rights to it. Please remember to cite your sources! Thank you.