12.05.2007

Persimmon bars

Right here in Loma Linda, you'll catch glimpses of persimmon trees if you look hard enough. Since they're in abundance, it'd be nice to make full use of this seasonal fruit.
I usually eat the fresh fruit but aunt Gwen inspired me to make persimmon bars when we were over at her place having kimchi hotpot!

She shared with me her recipe and gave me some persimmons from her own tree to make them. :)
I tried her version and did a little "tweaking" to another batch to see how it'll turn out. I like her recipe a lot but varied it because I wanted a softer spiced version. Topping it with lemon glaze gave it a nice look. :)
All the ( brackets) indicated are the additional things I added.
Aunt Gwen's recipe
Ingredients:
1. Canola/grape seed oil, 1 cup
2. Brown sugar, 1 cup
3. Eggs, 2
4. Salt, 1/2 tsp
5. lemon juice, 1 Tbsp
6. Hachiya persimmon pulp*, 2 cups blended
7. (I added an additional 1/3 cup apple sauce for a smoother batter)
8. Pastry flour, 4 cups ( 1 used 2 cups whole wheat and 2 cups white)
9. (1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp cinnamon 1.2 tsp cloves 1/2 tsp nutmeg)
10. walnuts, coarsely grounded, 2 cups
11. coconut flakes, 1 cup {didn't add this as I didn't have them}
12. raisins, 1 cup
Directions: Mix 1,2,3 well followed by 4,5,6. Sift 8, 9. and add it into the wet mixture. Add the rest of the dry ingredients. Spread onto 2 parchment-lined trays. Bake at 375 for 26 minutes.
(Lemon Glaze: Blend 1 cup unsifted powdered sugar with 2 Tbsp. lemon juice until smooth. )
*Note: Must use Hachiya variety! To make the persimmon puree, the persimmons have to be fully riped, soft and jelly-like. Cut them into half, and use a spoon to scoop out the pulp.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there gorgeous Chef

Simply loved you blogs and everything else.

Just in my 2nd week of Richard's baking class.

Just wanna share with you ...

Irene's Laksa Cookies
http://www.stomp.com.sg/stfoodiesclub/cookit/45/

Richard's Cake decoration class
http://mybakingandfoodobsessions.blogspot.com/2007/08/cake-decoration-5-of-7.html

Cheers!

8:54 AM

Cherry Z, RD said...

Hi! Thanks for your comments and I visited your links. I must say that you really have a passion for baking- like me! Richard is great and I wished that I'm in Singapore to learn all these classes from various instructors. Keep in touch and cheers! :)

Katy said...

Hi, Your site is very informative.
Do you know how to make chinese "white sugar cake"? The kind that you find at dim sum?

Disclaimer: All the recipes posted are for my personal references and/or adapted from mentioned instructors or books. They/I reserve the rights to it. Please remember to cite your sources! Thank you.