12.14.2006

All-occasion downy yellow butter cake

Since I'm currently taking the Wilton cake decorating class 2x/week, I'm really into the 'cakey' mood. I've been baking cakes from scratch to bring it to the class for decoration practice.
On page 30 of the Cake bible, Rose gave a very convincing description of why this cake is her fave. "If I had to choose among all my cakes, this one would win first place because it is delicious by itself yet versatile enough to accommodate a wide range of buttercreams. The cake combines the soft texture of white cake with the buttery flavor of yellow cake. Using of yolks instead of whole eggs produce a rich yellow color, fine texture, and delicious flavor. "
With this description, who wouldn't want to check this out!
Ingredients:
6 large egg yolks
milk 1 cup ( I used Silk soy milk)
vanilla ( 21/4 t)
sifted cake flour, 3 cups
sugar, 1 1/2 cups ( I used 1 cup)
baking powder, 1T + 1 t
salt, 3/4 t
unsalted butter, 12 T ( must be softened)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a medium bowl, combine the yolks, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 sec to blend. Add butter and remaining 3/4 c milk. Mix on low sped until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to high speed ( for hand mixers) and beat 1 1/2 min to aerate and develop cake structure. Scrape down the sides. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure. Scrape down the sides.
4. Scrape the batter into prepared pans and smooth the surface with spatula. ( pan will be 1/2 full).
5. Bake 25-35 mins. THe cake should shrink from the sides of the pan only after removal from the oven.
Store: 2 days room temperature, 5 days refrigerated, 2 months frozen.
Texture is most perfectly moist the same day as baking.
Complementary adornments: A simple dusting of powdered sugar, buttercream, glaze or fondant.
Evaluation:
I really like this cake! And I have to admit that I made a huge mistake by not adding butter! *opps** After putting the pan into the oven, I felt that something was wrong although I could not pin-point what was wrong. It was several minutes later that I realized butter was not added. *embarrassed red face* I rushed to open the oven door to find the cake cooking and rising well. Since the equipments were not washed, I hesitatingly made another batch. Glad I did. *_^ Otherwise, I'd not realize how nice this cake is. ;p
all occassion yellow cake
At Wilton cake class 1, lesson 2...something we did
wilton cake 1 lesson 2
And finally, practicing on the cake...
God bless wilton cake 1 lesson 2
Wilton Cake decorating class 2: final product that I didn't post up earlier...
wilton cake 2

1 comment:

Edith said...

Hi Cherry, I stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to tell you that you did a great job. Keep it up.

Disclaimer: All the recipes posted are for my personal references and/or adapted from mentioned instructors or books. They/I reserve the rights to it. Please remember to cite your sources! Thank you.