1.25.2007

Pandan chiffon cake

I'm a quest for the best chiffon cake recipe and have been trying out several recipes! My criteria would be a cake similar to Bengawan solo cake shop in Singapore. ( wish there was a store here in LA!) If you haven't tried it before, let me describe it a little to you...a light sponge cake...soft...moist...delicate...fluffy in the mouth...
SO, the first pandan chiffon cake was great...all thanks to
Lily's recipe!
pandan chiffon cake- Lily *soft**moist**look at the mini airpocket - testify to its light teture**
Ingredients for this cake, picture above:
( slightly different from Lily....)
150 g : cake flour
0.5 tsp : baking powder
0.25 tsp : salt
8 - : egg yolks
300 ml : coconut milk
2 tbsp : pandan paste ( use 1 tsp because this came out too green!!)
120 g : brown sugar
0.5 tsp : pandan essence
9 - : egg whites
1 tbsp : icing sugar
0.5 tsp : cream of tartar
1/4 cup oil
Directions:
1.Pre heat the oven to 160c/350 f(convection).
2.Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan and add the brown sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring slowly to disslove the sugar. set aside to cool.
3. Whisk the egg whites lightly and add in the cream of tartar and castor sugar. Continue to whisk until the mixture is stiff. Do not overheat or allow the mixture to become dry. Set aside.
This is an important stage so a lot of patience is required if you do not have a stand mixer. I whipped the egg whites for about a good 8 minutes! Start on 'low' before moving up toe medium speed on the beater.
4. Sieve the cake flour, baking powder and salt.In a bowl, combine the egg yolks, coconut mixture, oil pandan juice and pandan essence.Whisk for about 4 minutes, then add the flour to the egg yolk mixture. Mix until the batter is smooth or for another 2 minutes. Set aside.
5. Gently fold half the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and blend well.Fold in the remaining egg whites and work very lightly with a spatula. Make sure the mixture is well mixed.
6. Place the finished mixture in an ungreased chiffon cake mould. Level and bake in the oven until golden brown (about 45 minutes). Run a small metal spatula or knife through the batter to prevent airsockets.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and invert the mould. Allow it to cool for 1 hour.Do not remove the mould while the cake is still hot.When it has cooled, use a long, fine palatte knife to loosen the sides of the cake to remove it from the tin. (** I was excited to try it and hence, removed it from the mould when it was still warm...hehe**)
--------
Now that the cake is done, I emailed Lily to let her know of the results...here's the conclusion of several observations...

-------
1. Pandan paste should be 1 tsp., not 2!

2. brown sugar can be used....gives a more caramelly taste. Since I like it less sweet, reducing the amt of sugar came out fine
3. Oil: I added 1/4 cup oil because most recipes called for it. However, she said that "oil is not needed as 300 ml of coconut milk will be oily enough." I guess the oil contributed to its extra softness.
4.Although it tasted good, the looks were not as good. It might be because of the fact that i did not cooled it completely before removing it from the mould. "if the exterior of cake has a hard crumb, it could be too much oil and overbaked. "
Thanks again, Lily!*smiles*

6 comments:

lilyng said...

cherry

good job, i could not have done better.

Lei-Ai said...

Hi Cherry,
Was wondering what coconut milk is it that u used? Will the instant coconut cream powder do?

Beng Kuan said...

Hi Cherry,
I wish to let you know that I'm going to try out your recipe for pandan chiffon cake. I attended my first cake making class last Sunday. My wife brought me along. We were taught to make pandan chiffon cake. The results was not satisfying...tt was dry and crumby...nothing like the Bengawan Solo's pandan chiffon (my favourite as well). So, I decide to look for a better recipe. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll give it a try. Wish me luck! Beng kuan

Anonymous said...

Hey Cherry
Both my friend and I made two chiffons using Lily Wai's recipe last night. But one was added with 60ml oil which I learned from your web.

Apparently, the chiffon texture for both is similar. I can't tell the differences. Both are soft and moist. But I have few questions:
1. Why is the texture moist? When I bought chiffons from some cake shops, their texture is dry but still soft..
2. Why are the sides of my chiffons not brown? It is greenish just like the chiffon texture. I used 170 Degree Celsius (without fan) and bake them for about 45 – 50mins.

Could you pls advise me..

TSL - 23 May 08

lilyng said...

cherry

I’d like to refer you to this fantastic publisher program I have just joined with Foodbuzz! I think your blog would be a great fit. The program is designed to promote and drive traffic to your blog, foster a food blog community and provide a way to monetize your site should you choose to. It’s awesome.

All you have to do is click the following link to fill out the Foodbuzz Referral Form. The Foodbuzz Team can then contact you asap!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=PHmE_2beDgRu9lXCecP7ezkA_3d_3d



Remember to put me down as your referral okay as I will get a referral fee. All you need to do is click on the link and fill in the info. and me as your referral. After your blog got accepted, you just install a Foodbuzz badge and their banner (just like my blog). And every month they will pay you through paypal for putting up their banner. It's a pay per impression, so the more traffic your blog is, the more money you get. The Foodbuzz badge in your blog is used to calculate the statistic. After you done putting up the badge and banner in your blog, you just sit back and relax and wait for the money to come to your paypal account every month, as simple as that, easy money right? If you are interested, just click on the link and put me (little corner of mine) as your referral. And if you have question about how to put in the badge/banner later, e-mail me.


sorry i had to post this here, i would have written to you only if i knew your email address. sorry

Anonymous said...

Hi Cherry,
you should try adding chopped palm seeds into the cake, it's really yummy I had it at a wedding I attended. Please post on youtube the video in making this cake.

Disclaimer: All the recipes posted are for my personal references and/or adapted from mentioned instructors or books. They/I reserve the rights to it. Please remember to cite your sources! Thank you.