This moist, light textured cake contains only 129 mg cholesterol! Cake flour must be used but I accidentally used all-purpose flour instead. *oppss* Hence, it's denser texture from a regular chiffon cake. However, this mistake was good....(why?!) I think this sponge will make a good layer cake like strawberry fresh cream cake. *_*
sifted cake flour, 2 1/4 cup flour
sugar, 1 1/2 cups
baking soda, 1/2 tsp
salt, 1/2 tsp
oil (safflower), 1/2 liquid cup
7 Large eggs, separated, + 3 additional whites
water, 2/3 liquid cup
lemon juice, freshly squeezed, 2 T
grated lemon zest, 1 T
vanilla, 1 T
cream ot tartar, 1 1/4 t
1. preheat oven to 325F
2. Large mixing bowl: combine flour, all but 2 T of the sugar, baking soda, salt and beat 1 min
3. Make a well in the center. Add the oil, egg yolk, water, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and beat 1 min or until smooth
4. In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy, add the cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form when the beater is raised. Beat in 2 T sugar and beat until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised slowly. *IMPORTANT step!*
NOTE: if you'd like more info on how to beat the egg whites right, click here...its a video i found on Youtube.
5.Gently fold in the egg whites into the batter with a large ballon wire whisk, slotted skimmer, or angel food cake folder until just blended. Do not mix it to flatten the air bubbles! FOLD it in! Or for beginners, use your hands to fold it in. Make sure hands are washed thoroughly before and after though. *wink*
6.Pour into the tube pan ( batter will come to 1 inch from the top). Run a small metal spatula or knife through the batter to prevent airsockets.
7. Bake for 55 mins or until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center.
8. Invert the pan, placing the tube opening over the necl of a soda or wine bottle to suspend it well above the counter. (opt)
9. Cool the cake completely in the pan ( 1 1/2 hrs)
10. Loosen the sides with a long metal spatula and remove the center core of pan. Dislodge the bottom and center core with a metal spatula or thin, sharp knife. ( i have to work on this part because everytime it comes out, I get very excited to try oit...hahaha**)
11. Invert onto greased wire rack and reinvert ontoa serving plate.
Store: 3 days - room temp, 10 days refrigerated, 2 months frozen.