11.02.2006

Carrot muffins

To celebrate my gf's presentation and mid-term success, we ate To-go Ranu Thai food and watched Break-up. I've heard so much abt it but never really knew what it was about except that it sounded like a "break-up" movie. lol...I think Jennifer and Vince acted really well together.

I also baked Carrot muffins. This recipe is from the famous White House chef's book, "Dessert university" ( I highly recommend this book if you're serious abt baking ;p). I modified it a little by adding applesauce to replace half of the oil, brown sugar/maple syrup instead of white and WW flour instead of white. And oh, I used carrot/squash/cucumber pulp instead of shredded pieces.Do note that it is important to whip the eggs, oil, applesauce and sugar together until they are completely emulsified, resembling a runny mayonnaise. The mixing results in a fine crumb and a delicate texture that you won't get by simply stirring all of the ingredients together. If you have time, let the finished batter stand at room temperature for 1 hr before baking; this will yield the finest crumb.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/3 c oil
1 applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c b sugar
1/4 c maple syrup
8 oz carrot/squash/cucumber
1/2 c pecans, chopped
(opt: cream cheese frosting)
Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine flour, bs, cinnamon in a bowl
3. Beat eggs, add oil, vanilla, sugar in a large bowl and whisk on high speed for 5 mins. Stir in pecans and carrots
4.Divide batter among muffin cups
5. Bake for 15-20 mins

No comments:

Disclaimer: All the recipes posted are for my personal references and/or adapted from mentioned instructors or books. They/I reserve the rights to it. Please remember to cite your sources! Thank you.