6.26.2008

MageirocoPHOBIAS?

What am I afraid of? What are you afraid of? There was an in-service held for staff at LLUBMC that I briefly attended it. It's interesting to learn about common and obscure fears held by patients and ourselves, their etiology, and their treatment. A long list of different Phobos were listed...some interesting ones-
MAGEIROCOPHOBIA- fear of cooking?!?!?
Androphobia- fear of men
Anthrophobia- fear of flowers
Atychiphobia- fear of failure
Bibliophobia- fear of books
Cyberphobia- fear of computers
Dentophobia- fear of dentists
Gamophobia- Fear of marriage
Gynophobia- fear of women
Hydrophobia- fear of water
Obesophobia- fear of gaining weight
Pedophobia- fear of children
Venustraphobia- fear of beautiful women
Philophobia- fear of love

TREATMENT suggested:
1. Flooding- create extended exposure to the fear
2. Systematic Desensitization (progressive exposure)
3. Virtual reality
4. Behavioral Therapies
5. Cognitive Therapies
~~~::~~~
Do I have to stay in the feared situation for a long time until I recognize that none of the consequences that were feared actually occurred. Or use the progressive approach by starting with coping skills like realization, breathing, meditation and slowly expose myself to it or the situation?
No wonder many people instantly recognize Nike's motto- NO FEAR. People are fearful and the NO FEAR philosophy helps them believe that there is nothing to be fearful of.
I have to admit that although I appear to be strong and unfearful, I do have my fears. I just have to pray and ask God to give me the strength and courage to press on! :)
"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

No comments:

Disclaimer: All the recipes posted are for my personal references and/or adapted from mentioned instructors or books. They/I reserve the rights to it. Please remember to cite your sources! Thank you.