3.05.2008

Reflections~"Transforming lives"

Somehow I left the LLUMC/UHC Health Care Ministries Leadership Retreat at Double tree hotel a different person. After taking on the leadership position at BMC, I did my job and was focused on doing it well. However, my paradigm took a different angle after the retreat. It was more than the routine duties. I wanted to make a difference. I saw the bigger picture of how the hospital and university is integrated.

Meeting all the Vice Presidents (Daniel Fontoura, Michael Jackson, Zareh Sarrafian, Jill Pollock, David Wren, Roger Hadley, etc) and hearing their 2008 strategic focus in the facilities (University Medical Center, East Campus, Children's Hospital, Behavioral Medicine Center, University Health Care, School of Medicine) were great. Reports by Ruthita Fike on the 2007 Factors of success were helpful.

But if I have to point out one single item that made a strong impression, it would be meeting Dr. Lyn Behrens.

I was entranced by her quiet and strong leadership. Three words would sum up my encounter with her- inspired, motivated and touched.

Dr. Behrens just retired from being the CEO/President of Loma Linda University Medical Center. I thought someone with such a major position would be "up-there" but it was a huge contrast to my impression of her as a lofty and proud person.

She is one of the most humble person I have ever met. A dedicated and mission-oriented person who absolutely loves God is what I will remember of her. I had the privilege of having lunch with her and those extra moments were precious.

Most of her conversations were pointed towards God, mission work and "heart flowing with gratitude". She gave us a card- her road map in life that she puts in her wallet. Whenever she gets out of sync with life, she pulls out this road map.

She said, "The purpose of our lives is- faith, hope and love. Christ's picture is in the center of it all. Keep our eyes focused on him....He is our motivation and empowerment. Pray and bless others."

Her vision statement is in 2 phrases:"Transforming lives". "We should be crystal clear and transparent to allow God's love to shine through us. We should love people regardless of their education, health, looks and financial level..."

At the end of the day, people will not remember how you look or what you said. But they will remember how you made them feel.

Dr. Lyn Berrens made me feel good.

Transforming lives?

You bet. I am up for it! :)

(Too bad I didn't bring my camera!! Didn't get a chance to take pictures with her...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cherry! I've only just started reading your blog after trying to find a recipe for something.. I forget what now? I think it was honeycomb cake! But since then I've been reading your blog regularly cos I love your recipes but also your heart for God! I love knowing that I am reading a Christian sister's blog. Keep up the good work in blessing others with your words. :) Diana

Cherry Z, RD said...

Diana, Thanks for your kinds words. I am encouraged to hear that you are blessed by my words. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cherry,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.


Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com

Disclaimer: All the recipes posted are for my personal references and/or adapted from mentioned instructors or books. They/I reserve the rights to it. Please remember to cite your sources! Thank you.