3.26.2007

taro cake/ chee cheong fun sauce/ fried beehoon



"You must do the things you think you cannot do."~Eleanor Roosevelt


If you look over at the left bar of my blog, you'll notice that there is a section called: "reflect on quote for the day." Everyday, a new quote would appear and it is always refreshing to read what others have to say. Today, I was particularly struck by what Eleanor Roosevelt said. True, I must do the things I think I cannot do. I think it is because of that, I have ventured into cake-making. My mum is an excellent cook. Name her any Asian or Singaporean food, she can whip it up in no time, deliciously. ^__^ But she has never really made cakes before and hence, it is something that I feel that I have to learn. It is not in my blood or natural tendency to bake cakes. Although it's a new area for me, I'm learning by reading up a lot on cakes.( The Cake Bible is a very good book) The Wilton cake decorating class helped jump-start my creativity because the teacher and experienced classmates shared many tips. I hope to be a pro someday-making professional wedding cakes. Anyways, I've been practicing by making cakes for friends. haha. (maybe I shouldn't say that or they'll feel sad when I make their birthday cakes...lol) It's not that the cakes turn out bad but it's an extra effort for me to make cakes because I'd have to read up, ask people, find recipes before I can come up with something good. I want it to taste and look good. The decoration part takes a lot of time. In short, it's a lot of work, unlike Asian cooking, which I'm familiar with. However, anything worth doing is never easy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since we were at Chinatown yesterday to celebrate Laisum's birthday, I did my grocery shopping for the week. I bought so much food that I had to start cooking this morning.


I made Fried Beehoon and sauce for Chee Cheong Fun.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chee Cheong Fun


The recipe was posted on my earlier post...after some modifications, here's the home-made sauce!( recipe copied by from ST)


Every chee cheong fun stall has its own proprietary sauce, but the dressing typically starts off with hoisin sauce. Hoisin is made from fermented soybeans, spices and sugar - I used the Lee Kum Kee Vegetarian Hoisin sauce.
To this base, hawkers add some or all of the following: light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, sesame paste, sesame oil, fried shallot oil, fried shallots, sugar and chili sauce.
I suggest you start off with a mix of five parts hoisin to one part light soy sauce and one part sesame oil or paste, then stir in small amounts of any of the other condiments. Experiment until you get a taste that you like.
For the chili sauce, try to get one that is spicy without being overly salty or sour, so that it blends well with the other ingredients. Thai or Vietnamese plain chili sauces are quite good for this.

If you add a dab of smooth peanut butter to the sauce, you'll get a flavour very similar to nuoc leo (Vietnamese peanut dipping sauce) which also goes very well with chee cheong fun.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fried Bee Hoon

If I have to choose between rice and noodles, I would always choose noodles. It sounds weird to the rice-lovers but I just love noodles. I've made fried bee hoon many times and it's always made differently because it depends on the ingredients I have.

For this, here's the list of ingredients used:

500g beehoon, soaked and well drained
10 tbsp oil
4 eggs
Juice of 1 lime (opt)
2 T chopped garlic
1/2 onion, shredded
3 thin slices of shredded ginger
75g vegetarian ham, shredded
200g carrots and cabbage, shredded (or use 1/2 packet of coleslaw mix.)
800g beansprouts
200g green beans, tails removed and halved
Seasoning
1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tsp mushroom seasoning
1 tsp sesame oil
Salt and sugar to taste
Dash of pepper
Fish sauce (opt)
Garnishing
Chopped spring onion and coriander leaves
Sliced red chillies
Method
Soak Beehoon in warm water for approximately 2 minutes. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok and fry garlic until golden brown. Add in meehoon and fry for 1–2 minutes until cooked and soft. Remove and set aside.
Heat oil and fry eggs -omelet style that can be sliced and added as a topping. Remove and set aside.
Reheat oil and add in garlic/onion/ginger and fry until fragrant. Add vegetarian ham. Stir-fry briefly. Add in green beans followed by cabbage and carrot mixture followed by bean sprouts. Add in salt, pepper and mushroom seasoning. Return beehoon and season as desired. Toss well to combine. Cook for a few more minutes. Mix, and squeeze in the lime juice (opt). Dish out and serve with a sprinkling of garnishing. AND, eat it with chili sauce!

No comments:

Disclaimer: All the recipes posted are for my personal references and/or adapted from mentioned instructors or books. They/I reserve the rights to it. Please remember to cite your sources! Thank you.